Tuesday, March 26, 2013

So God made a game warden


If you asked game wardens across the state what they like best about the job, you would probably get a variety of answers. One may say because they don’t have to sit at a desk. Another might respond that they love to hunt and fish, so what better way to earn a paycheck. Most will say because of the variety of things you get to do throughout the year. I’ve never heard one say what I believe is the best part of the job which is watching over God’s creation. With every sunrise I see sitting in the woods or sunset I watch out on the lake, I become more convinced of this.
The book of Genesis speaks about God’s perfect creation. In chapter 1:20 God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” That was the fifth day. In verse 24 God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.”
I love that after each creation God looked at it and saw that “it was good.” Perhaps one of the most meaningful scriptures to me in the Bible comes next in verse 26. “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God made a game warden! Now I know God was referring to the creation of mankind in this verse, but it is my belief that at this moment in time there was a need for a game warden. God knew that he needed someone to watch over his creation. How cool is it that God tasked us with ruling over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all wild animals? Conservation takes on a spiritual context from this verse and in my views, so does being a game warden.
I am reminded of the Parable of the Bags of Gold in Matthew 25 where the wealthy man went on a journey and entrusted bags of gold to his servants. The servants who were given 5 and 2 bags of gold went out and put their money to work and received 5 more and 2 more bags respectively. The last servant was given one bag of gold, and since he was scared of losing the money, he went out and buried the bag. When the wealthy man returned he praised the two servants who invested the money but sent the servant away who buried the money. In the same way God has entrusted us with his beautiful creation to manage and watch over making sure that when he returns we have made it flourish and abound. We have been tasked with a big job, but I feel blessed knowing that each day I go to work I am working for God to protect his creation.
I want to encourage you to serve God in whatever job you do. Find a way each day to bring glory to God in your career. Show the people around you what God has entrusted you with. I know God will bless your career and life if you do this. I am thankful God has continued to bless me and I look in anticipation to the many years to come in serving Him!

1 comment:

  1. My name is Jed, I'm currently 15 and living in California. I was looking into being a fish and game warden and I am doing an English essay on what I want to be when I grow up. Your description of being a game warden and the verses you added were amazing. I decided I am going to use these verses and I'll make sure to site this page. I just wanted to say thank you, even if this is a couple years late.

    ReplyDelete