Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An unconventional spotlighter


The two men began walking in our direction with their head lamps shining right at the fence post as if they knew someone was there. I became increasingly apprehensive as I could not decipher what weapon he was carrying. The lights swooped side to side several times and suddenly came to rest in our direction as the two men stopped walking. This was it! Was I in the poacher’s crosshairs? I braced for the sound of the gun.
It was the end of the 2010-2011 deer season. I had just been offered a position in District 31 that was assigned mainly to the lakes in that district. I hated to leave Hamilton County but I was looking forward to my new adventures. During the first week in my new location I received a call from Jon Ryan who is the White County game warden asking if I was interested in working spotlighting later that night. As usual I said yes because I would never miss out on the opportunity to catch a spotlighter. He had information from a gentleman stating someone was shining deer on foot behind a house and if we sat for three nights in a row we would catch him. Since deer season was closed we were skeptical of the information but planned on humoring the informant and sitting there the three nights.
Jon picked me up at dark and we headed to northeast White County. He informed me the man shining behind his house was a convicted felon and just released from the federal penitentiary. We had also received word that he might be a member of a gang. The mixture of those ingredients was sure to make for an interesting evening if it panned out. We parked our truck on a four-wheeler road on the mountain behind the suspect’s residence. Grabbing our binoculars and NVG’s (night vision goggles) we walked the four-wheeler road until we came to a pasture behind the house. Easing across the fence we set up at a large wooden fence post where we could watch the house. Fifteen minutes later a porch light came on and a gentleman with a head lamp emerged from the back door. He had something in his hands and began walking in our direction. I squatted down behind the fence post as Jon did the same behind me. The suspect bent over and dumped some scraps out on the ground and walked over to his vehicle in the driveway. Watching through my binoculars he reached for the door. Suddenly he looked up and shined his head lamp towards us. I lowered my binoculars wondering if he could see the reflection of my lenses. He took off at a sprint to the back door of the house and went inside. My adrenaline began to pump as I remembered what Jon said about the suspect’s previous involvement in felonious activities. I told Jon he saw us and is going to get a gun. “No, no let’s just hang tight and see what he does,” was his reply. Now I like hairy situations more so than most game wardens but this made me uneasy. Under my breath I told Jon him was trying to get the new guy shot and he had nothing to worry about since I was in the front! The back door opened again. Two men emerged, both with head lamps and one with what looked like a weapon. The two men began walking in our direction with their head lamps shining right at the fence post as if they knew someone was there. I became increasingly apprehensive as I could still not decipher what weapon he was carrying. The lights swooped side to side several times and suddenly came to rest in our direction as the two men stopped walking. This was it! Was I in the poacher’s crosshairs? I braced for the sound of the gun. “Thud.” Being an archery hunter, I recognized the sound of the cable vibration from the arrow the suspect just released. I had already unholstered my gun and was ready to move in on the suspects, still not knowing what they were shooting at. Jon told me to cover him and  jumped the fence. Drawing my gun we announced ourselves with loud commands, “Tennessee Game Wardens! Put your weapons down! Show me your hands!” We moved tactically towards them as we watched the second suspect whose hands and beer were in the air drop his can to the ground which exploded on impact. The first suspect dropped his bow and we could tell they had no idea we were watching them. “Man that was some straight up military s@*t, officers,” replied the bow hunter. It is a known fact that a game warden takes pride in surprising a poacher. I grinned knowing we put a catchin’ on them they would never forget.
Our poacher told us while he was dumping his scraps he saw the glow of a rabbit’s eyes and ran back to get his bow and his drinking buddy to assist him in the hunt. During the interview he stated he spotlighted rabbits behind his house a few nights a week and he has even killed several using the illegal tactics. “Why don’t you just use a gun,” Jon asked. The poacher replied that he is a convicted felon and cannot own a firearm, also that there are houses close by which would be dangerous. At least he did one thing right!
We seized the bow and issued the felon a citation for hunting rabbits in a closed season as well as his drinking buddy as an accessory to the crime. The two were very cooperative and even offered us a ride back to our truck. Declining the offer we left the residence and had some laughs as we thought about the events from the night. I knew more nights like these were in the forecast and I have yet to be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment